Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chili Cook off this afternoon at the Consul's house.

Went today to the Chili Cook Off, this year held at the home of the Consul. He was very nice to let us all in to his yard to visit and have the cook off. There were about 150 Americans, and Candians there, with a few Mexicans too. English was the language of the day.  There were over 20 people who had made Chili and were in the contest to see which Chili was voted best. I liked the Peruvian Chili (no beans, but flavorful), some of the American Chili cookers had theirs VERY hot, and I don't prefer the Hottest kind, so I chose the one from Mexico! :) Her's was my favorite by far.  I also tried some new foods! Cactus and Fried Octopus. :) The Cactus was cut in strips that looked like green beans and was stir fried, tasty. The Octopus was fried in a batter, and I could still see the 'sucker' feet, but ate it anyway. It was actually good. I didn't like it raw in Ceviche the last time we were here, but the fried was good. :) There are a lot of Octopus here. (A man in the parking lot of the WalMart tried to sell me some. ha)
It was a fun day, met lots of new people, mostly from Canada! Seems the Canadians have 'found' the paradise we have. There are far more Canadians here than Americans. There were also people selling crafts- jewelry, candles, wood masks, and antiques. Wow, the antiques here are REALLY antique! They go back HUNDREDS of years. very interesting.
Over all, it was an enjoyable day and very interesting.
I was invited to the International Women's Club, we will see what that is all about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment