Thursday, February 17, 2011

Merida Mercado downtown

OK, we went where no tourists have gone before (just kidding, I'm sure tourists get lost and go here!)
We went to the Mercado downtown.  that is the downtown market- with 156,000 Sq ft of shopping, and over 1500 vendors. Does it sound big and crazy? Yes, it is!!

Only problem we could find is how to find things. Seems there are 'sections' for everything there. One area is fruits and vegetables, one is only shoes, one is clothes, one is tools, one is meat (stinks!), one is flowers, one is spices, etc. SO- who knows where in the world those things are???
We found the shoe section, but didn't need shoes, went to the end of the rows, ended up outside the whole building! too hot to go back in, so we left by another street.

I will have to check with some of the other gringos here to see if anyone can give me the guide to the mercado. :) I'm sure someone knows the way through!!

I saw online that Martha Stewart came to Merida and went through the mercado with a local gringo chef. Interesting. I guess he knew his way around. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment