Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Death in my family.....

It is hard being in another country when you find out a loved one is doing poorly and in Hospice. There are a lot of things that go through your mind, do I drop everything and rush there?, can I do anything there if I do?, will people think I am insensitive if I stay here?, can I even get a ticket out of here that quickly?
My father was in an Assisted Living Home since he had Dementia (possibly Alzheimers) and needed more assistance than my sister could give. She has been his primary caregiver since my mother passed away about four years ago.
When we decided to move to Mexico, I knew that I would miss my family, but also knew that this would be a better place for me to live. I visited my dad just before we left the US and told him I was moving and he said goodbye to me (not knowing who I was, or where I was going, or what I was talking about). It is very hard for loved ones to go through caring for a parent who doesn't remember you or even their spouse of 50 years.
When I got the call about my dad in Hospice, I was very conflicted about what to do. I then heard he had passed away quickly after that.
My two sisters in VA are dealing with all the final details. His cremation had been prepaid and was in place.
There will be a memorial for him Sunday. My heart is there even if my body can't be there this time. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment