Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fruit from the Market

We love to shop at the local Market in Progreso. There are always plenty of fruits and vegetables to choose from and they are very helpful. Things there are fresh and ripe, so the lady that we buy from asks us if we will us this today or tomorrow. Then she helps us pick the right ones that we should eat.
There are also other stands at the market in Progreso- a shoe stand, clothes, bathing suits, toys, ribbon and thread for sewing, and flour, seeds and meats. Oh, and flowers- I love the flower section of the market it smells wonderful! :) I always end up with a huge bunch of flowers from their stand. A huge bunch, arranged in a vase will be $15 US. I usually just get a handfull of cut flowers for my vase at home, this runs us $6 US.
(I'll have to take some pics there next time we go)
Here's one of the fruit stands:

Pitaya fruit
The last photo is a Pitaya fruit- also known as Dragon Fruit. I had to ask what it was in the market. It is bright pink on the outside with green leaves. I also had to ask how to eat it (you never know if you eat the seeds, don't eat the seeds, etc) I was told I could cut in half and scoop out the eat the pulp, or take it out and make a drink out of it like a smoothie. I did both. I have to say it was a little tart at first, sort of tasted like a kiwi. But I like it and made a smootie drink with that and some strawberry yogurt. Yum. pretty good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment